These techniques can obtain detailed compositional information and bring clarification and understanding to a wide range of materials issues.
Examples of applications include:
- Polymer type confirmation of rubber, plastics and thermoplastic elastomers
- Near surface reflectance analysis by ATR / HATR FTIR
- Identification of material additives and fillers
- Identification of particulate inclusion contaminants by FTIR microspectroscopy
- Identification of multilayer laminate films by FTIR microspectroscopy
- UV transmittance and absorbance testing
- Quantification of UV-active compounds (containing a chromophore)
- Quantification of migratory primary aromatic amines extracted from food packaging materials
- Specific migration of formaldehyde from food packaging materials
In some instances FTIR and UV-Vis analysis provides an initial material assessment followed by more detailed and sensitive analysis using other techniques available at Smithers.